As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Ultimate Guide: When Buying Maternity Bra, What Size Should You Choose?
Congratulations! You’re embarking on an exciting journey of motherhood, and along with it comes the need for comfortable and supportive maternity bras.
As your body undergoes significant changes during pregnancy and breastfeeding, finding the right size maternity bra becomes essential.
In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the intricacies of choosing the perfect size, ensuring optimum comfort, support, and functionality.
When Buying Maternity Bra, What Size Matters?
Finding the right size for your maternity bra is crucial for your overall comfort and well-being. Here, we’ll explore the various factors to consider when determining the ideal size:
1. Changes in Breast Size
During pregnancy, hormonal fluctuations cause your breasts to undergo significant changes. They become larger, tender, and more sensitive. It’s essential to measure your breasts regularly to adapt to these changes and find a suitable bra size.
2. Importance of Proper Support
Proper support is vital to alleviate any discomfort and prevent sagging. When your breasts are not adequately supported, it can lead to backaches, shoulder pain, and other issues. A well-fitting maternity bra provides the necessary support to alleviate these concerns.
3. Band Size
The band size refers to the circumference of your ribcage, just below your breasts. To find the appropriate band size, measure around your ribcage using a soft measuring tape. Ensure the tape is snug but not overly tight. Round up any fractional measurements to the nearest whole number.
4. Cup Size
The cup size corresponds to the difference between your band size and the circumference of your breasts at their fullest point. To measure your cup size, wrap the measuring tape around the fullest part of your breasts, ensuring it’s parallel to the ground. Subtract your band size measurement from this number to determine your cup size.
5. Maternity Bra Styles
Different maternity bra styles offer various levels of support and coverage. Some common styles include wireless bras, nursing bras, and sleep bras. Understanding the features and benefits of each style can help you choose the most suitable option for your needs.
6. Professional Bra Fittings
If you’re unsure about your measurements or finding the right size, consider getting a professional bra fitting. Experienced fitters can accurately measure you and provide expert guidance on choosing the perfect maternity bra size. Many lingerie stores and maternity boutiques offer this service.
FAQs About Choosing the Right Maternity Bra Size
- Q: How often should I measure my bra size during pregnancy?
- It is advisable to measure your bra size every trimester or whenever you experience noticeable changes in your breast size.
- Q: Is it normal for my bra size to fluctuate during pregnancy?
- Yes, it is entirely normal for your bra size to change throughout your pregnancy and postpartum period. Hormonal changes and milk production can impact the size and shape of your breasts.
- Q: Can I wear my regular bras during pregnancy?
- While some women can continue wearing their regular bras during early pregnancy, it’s generally recommended to switch to maternity bras for better support and comfort as your breasts grow.
- Q: When is the best time to purchase maternity bras?
- It’s best to start shopping for maternity bras around the second trimester when your breasts have significantly changed in size. However, every woman is different, so it’s essential to pay attention to your comfort level and make the switch when needed.
- Q: How many maternity bras should I buy?
- It’s a good idea to have at least three to five maternity bras in your wardrobe. This ensures that you have enough bras to rotate between washes and accommodate fluctuations in size.
- Q: Can I wear underwire bras during pregnancy?
- It is generally recommended to avoid underwire bras during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Underwires may put pressure on your breasts and milk ducts, potentially causing discomfort or clogged ducts. Opt for wireless bras that provide ample support without the use of underwires.
Finding the right size when buying a maternity bra is essential for your comfort and well-being during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Remember to consider the changes in your breast size, the importance of proper support, and the various styles available. Take measurements regularly, and don’t hesitate to seek professional fittings for expert guidance. By choosing the perfect maternity bra size, you can ensure maximum comfort, support, and functionality throughout your motherhood journey.
Remember, your body is unique, and it’s normal for your bra size to change during this transformative time. Embrace these changes, prioritize your comfort, and enjoy the beautiful experience of motherhood!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.